Saturday, October 31, 2015

Fall Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I love fall.  It's a such a beautiful time of year with the leaves turning golden and red hues in Western PA.  From breaking out the jeans, sweaters and boots to the Friday night lights football games, sign me up!  I also love fall flavors like butternut squash and pumpkin.  I decided to try my hand at these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins made with whole wheat flour from Skinnytaste.   

The recipe didn't have too many ingredients which was a big draw for this busy girl! I whipped them up in no time flat and they were delicious!

 The only problem is I've been heating them up in the microwave and have almost eaten all of them in the last two days.  I think the secret is giving them away so next time prepare for muffin deliveries my friends!  The recipe makes twenty-eight smaller muffins or twelve to fourteen larger muffins.  I used Ultragrain White Whole Wheat Flour to add whole grains with white flour appeal. 

Muffins selfie in front of my fall wreath!

Enjoy this recipe adapted from the Skinny Taste website

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Ultragrain white whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cups Ultragrain all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup raw sugar
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 tbsp virgin canola oil
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • baking spray 
  • 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:

  • Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners and lightly spray liners with oil for easy removal.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl mix pumpkin puree, oil, egg whites and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
  • Add flour mixture to the wet mixture, then blend at low speed until combined; do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
  • Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake on the center rack for 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Let them cool at least 15 minutes before serving.  Makes 28 mini muffins or 14 regular sized muffins.
 
 Disclosure: Ultragrain by Ardent Mills is one of my sponsors and supplied free product for this post. The opinions in this blog are my own. 

No comments: